Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The gentleness challenge

Read this from a mum's link and this year for me, I want to take up this The gentleness Challenge.

Help me remember.

Kids really test your patience, and add in stressors from anything or just a tired day and you might just respond in a less patient way. There are times when i regretted how i responded to Eliza. I always want to be firm with her, never to scold her loudly, but always to be kind and gentle. I also know what her trigger points are, sometimes she's tired, sometimes she's wanting attention, sometimes she just cannot accept the stern 'no' she hears from me. I'm thankful for the relationship we have, that despite the discipline we have on her, she will still in the end want to do what we tell her to and she'll say sorry for her misbehavior. We'll always end each meltdown/breakdown/whatever-down with a shared heart to heart talk. Though i don't want to ever raise my voice at her in a way that will demean her or become a bad example she learns from.

I quote from the page:
"It’s interesting to note that all of the fruit of the Spirit address this very issue – the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control (Gal. 5:22).  When we walk in the Spirit – we will be gentle mothers.  But when we walk in the flesh – we lack all of these attributes.
Which brings me to conclude that we must be in God’s word and on our knees daily – depending on God to help us be the gentle mothers he has called us to be. "


No comments: