Friday, February 18, 2011

Saying sorry

.

Even as a toddler Eliza felt the difficulty of saying sorry. We learnt from sign language the basic courtesy of please, thank you, sorry very early on. And when she was able to understand the meaning of sorry well, we insisted that she apologizes for her wrong actions ie hitting people, defiance, doing things she knows very well she should not.

We also teach her to say sorry for accidentally knocking or hitting someone. This though wasn't too difficult because we model it easily. It was cute to hear her, knocking into us and saying her "sori sori" in her cute Eliza manner.

But it is the wrongdoing part that sometimes takes us and her a good 5-15mins to utter those words. I guess when she did something wrong deliberately, esp out of anger or frustration, she wasn't going to relent by saying sorry and that's why it takes so long.

Initially it was only a hug to make up for the verbal sorry, then we moved on to signing sorry (cos saying it is always more difficult). And now she is able to apologize verbally or at least understand that it is part of the reconcilation process.

This evening during bedtime I was quite upset that she was still so playful after so long. My patience was also running thin. Anyway, in my frustration, I almost took out the cane. I also expressed I that I was angry with her because she wasn't being obedient too. Somehow a while later, I was surprised that she told me something like "mummy I am sorry I made you angry". Aweie, I was so surprised and touched. I just had to say 'i forgive you' and give her a big goodnight hug. She also guai guai slept very quickly after that. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: